Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Barnes TTSX 62gr

I've been using the 65gr SGK the last couple of years in .223 for my child to hunt with and he took his first deer last year at 90 yards, DRT. However I am curious to anyone using the 62gr TTSX and how far is the effectiveness of them for deer? We have a place that is about 300 yards on a v-shaped food plot, and it seems to have more activity from deer on it and would like to be able to get more effective shots at longer distances with the TTSX if possible over the 65 SGK. Anyone here have any experience with 150+ yard shots on the TTSX and how they performed vs the 65 SGK? The SGK didn't do as well as I had hoped at longer distances, they seemed to shed the jackets and fragment the lead and what not. I did try the 70 grain TSX and could not get them to shoot well at all from my rifle, but the 62 shot really well. Any experience will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by SouthernCoyote; 08-29-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I don't know about that particular size TTSX but it will hold together. The question your really asking is if at 300 yards you have enough FPS to expand the bullet or otherwise it will just punch like a FMJ with no expansion possibly. The TTSX will hold together nearly 100%. I finally recovered one from a hog hunt in July that I need to weigh and see if I lost any copper. It doesn't look like it.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdogg21 View Post
    I don't know about that particular size TTSX but it will hold together. The question your really asking is if at 300 yards you have enough FPS to expand the bullet or otherwise it will just punch like a FMJ with no expansion possibly. The TTSX will hold together nearly 100%. I finally recovered one from a hog hunt in July that I need to weigh and see if I lost any copper. It doesn't look like it.
    From my gun, they should be still cruising along right at 2,000 fps at 300 yards. Barnes says they should expand down to 1,900 fps so they should be good to go at that distance.
    "Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG